Netflix and Hulu [Was Re: Computer hardware for sale, cheap]

Alan Johnson alan at datdec.com
Wed Jan 26 13:47:05 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Dan Jenkins <dan at rastech.com> wrote:

> From this discussion, I learned a few things I didn't know. I hadn't
> realized that Silverlight (required for Netflix) works under Linux. That
> was pleasing to find out.

I've had a computer hooked up to my 52" TV for years now, even before I
started streaming Netflix.  Now I watch Hulu, Comedy Central, Amazon
OnDemand and misc content providers, but I dropped Netflix we when I
switched our TV computer to Ubuntu.  Is there really a Silverlight for
Linux?  I'd be tempted to renew our Netflix account if I could get it to
work without much hassle.  I'd be happier if it were not an M$ software, but
I see Flash as only slightly less evil and I happily made that concession a
while ago.  I looked through the previous thread you reference, but I don't
find "Silverlight" in there anywhere.  Is it a hack like IEs for Linux, or
is it straight up supported by M$?  Got a link handy?  I don't mind googling
on my own, so if it is not handy, don't bother.

Netflix online is such a better deal than Hulu Plus right now.  I too am
annoyed at no public list of exactly what you get with HuluPlus over Hulu
(exactly which shows you get full runs of, etc).  Also, while I am very
pleased with how Hulu has handled commercials so far (way less annoying than
most content servers), but paying to watch commercials just doesn't feel
right. =)

Say, are there any more Linux friendly competitors to Netflix out there?

Alan Johnson
alan at datdec.com