[Discuss] Migration Environment Survey (host profiling) HOWTO

Greg Rundlett (freephile) greg at freephile.com
Wed Jun 15 16:00:41 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Matt Shields <matt at mattshields.org> wrote:

> 2. Missing quite a few common languages, ie Java.

agreed

> 3. DotNetNuke is a framework not a language, but for a site survey they
> could add a separate question asking about what frameworks are used.
> PHP - CakePHP, Zend, CodeIgniter...
> Perl - Catalyst...
> Java - Spring, Strusts...
> Python - Django, Pylons, TurboGears...
> .NET - are there any?
>
> I noticed that too.  And you're absolutely right.  If you don't know the
frameworks involved then I think it's going to be risky to do a migration.

I should Google for Data Center Migration Risks to see what I can come up
with in terms of wisdom, best practices etc.

> Another category missing is which application/web servers are used?
> Apache
> Lighttpd
> Nginx
> Tomcat
> GlassFish
> Resin
> .... and the list goes on

Yep.

> 4. For MySQL you can use the following query
> SELECT CONCAT(sum(ROUND(((DATA_LENGTH + INDEX_LENGTH - DATA_FREE) / 1024 /
> 1024),2))," MB") AS Size FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES where TABLE_SCHEMA
> like '%YOUR_DB_NAME%' ;
>
> Thanks - worth bookmarking.

> Matthew Shields
> Owner
> BeanTown Host - Web Hosting, Domain Names, Dedicated Servers, Colocation,
> Managed Services
> www.beantownhost.com
> www.sysadminvalley.com
> www.jeeprally.com

Matt (or anyone else) if you're interested in providing a quote for our
migration project, please email me off-list

Greg Rundlett
my public PGP key<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5E07A26B877CEBF6>