Terminal server? (Kinda.)

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Fri Mar 4 14:51:14 EST 2011

On Fri, March 4, 2011 2:17 pm, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Do I read you correctly that you are going to individually wire each
> RS232 port?
> How are these locations going to be connected to the home office. I
> think that RS232 is a max of 50 ft or so. Or are these going to be
> connected to some in-store modem connected to the phone system or possibly
> with an in-store computer connecting to the Internet or to the home office
> via dialup. Back in the early 1970s we put POS (DEC PDP-8M) devices into
> all the Burger King stores with a low cost modem card.

Yes, each cash register will be individually wired; that being said, what
with it being somewhere between hundreds and thousands of miles away, I
was assuming I'd use a wall wart device to act as a VPN endpoint/conduit
to the primary host here in Bedford.

Some Googling gave me an idea that -- to be honest -- sends shivers up and
down my spine, and not in a good way: SLIP.  Windows XP apparently still
supports SLIP (Windows 7 does not), and using that to a remote SLIP
connection, over VPN, should probably work just fine.  Though from what I
remember of my pre-PPP days, SLIP kinda *SUCKED* for configuration.
Perhaps in the course of 15-odd years, things have improved -- or, just
maybe, I mis-remember how bad it was.

-Ken