Boston Linux Meeting Reminder, tomorrow, Wednesday, March 16, 2011 Agile From the Engine Room: Making the World Safe for Geeks

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Tue Mar 15 09:58:52 EDT 2011

When: March 16, 2011 7PM (6:30PM for Q&A)
Topic: Agile From the Engine Room: Making the World Safe for Geeks
Moderator: Nancy Van Schooenderwoert
Location: MIT Building E51, Room 395

A talk about Agile programming methodologies

The strength of the Agile movement is based on many of the same
fundamentals that give the open source movement its power: individuals
caring about their craft, strong technical foundations, recognition
based on merit. But creating mechanisms for it to endure is no easy
thing. The success of both communities has meant they must deal with
misinformation, mis-application of their ideas, and outright lies.

Maybe you've been in a company where "being Agile" meant that all you
had to do was skip documentation and code really, really fast. Or maybe
you've worked in an "Agile sweatshop". Such abuses exist.

First we'll look at the truth about what constitutes a healthy Agile
team - by going on a virtual tour of the team room of a real Agile team
that is running their first iteration for a safety-critical project.
We'll see what their day-to-day practices actually are, what their user
stories look like, and how the Agile mechanisms make room for the voice
of technical competence to be heard in the din that accompanies the
startup of a high-stakes project.

Then we'll briefly explore who's using Agile methods in open source
work, how the practices typically vary for open source teams, and why
it's so difficult to move from people-driven mode to the "rule of law".
It's all part of making the world safe for good geeks to be able to do
their work - and do it right.

For further information and directions please consult the BLU Web site
http://www.blu.org
Please note that there is usually plenty of free parking in the E-51
parking lot at 2 Amherst St, or directly on Amherst St.

After the meeting we will adjourn to the official after meeting meeting
location at the Asgard Irish Pub & Restaurant, 350 Massachusetts Avenue
This is the first time we've gone to the Asgard so we'd like some feedback.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix