Nmap: pissing. me. off.

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Wed Mar 16 22:30:46 EDT 2011

> You're sure the base nmap executable binary bits are the same so
> it's something specific to the failing machine, yes?

D'oh!  This is what happens when going from window to window while typing
replies -- sometimes one xterm looks an awful lot like another.  You
nailed it: somehow, nmap on the failing machine was -rwxr-xr-x (vs.
-rwsr-sr-x on the functioning one).  It became obvious I'd missed
something when this line popped up in strace:

mmap2(NULL, 156036, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_DENYWRITE...

I *am* curious, now, though: I always thought SUID, etc., bits affected
*non*-root users.  How is it that root is being denied root privs?