Thinkpad repair?

Greg Kettmann greg at kettmann.com
Sat Oct 15 07:14:29 EDT 2011

I worked for IBM for 30 years and started in service.  My family has
many Thankpads.  With appropriate parts I do repairs myself.

Two things.

1)  Parts are usually prohibitively expensive.  You can often do web
searches and find discount parts but that's hit or miss.

2)  Lenovo seems to still use all the IBM paradigms.  They will have an
HMM or Hardware Maintenance Manual available online.  Typically this is
a PDF file.  (Google - lenovo x60 hmm).  Using the HMM you can identify
the failing part and the replacement procedure.  Searching on that part
number will help find a source to acquire it.  You typically want the
FRU, or Field Replaceable Unit, number since there will be two listed.

Hopefully someone else on the list can speak up if there is a local
repair shop.

GGK