Thinkpad repair?

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Sat Oct 15 15:51:13 EDT 2011

I should probably pipe up here.  I've noticed two schools of thought that, on
the face of things, seem to describe two different customer experiences:
dissatisfaction at having to pay a diagnostic fee for no actual service, and
satisfaction at being able to drop off a laptop and have it worked on by
certified personnel in a quick, professional, and timely manner.

Alas, "that's the way it works."  Small computer shops can't really afford to
have people drop stuff off so that they can turn around, tell them it'll cost
$200 to fix it, and have the customer decide to go and blow $350 on that laptop
they saw advertised over at Staples.  In the words of Heinlein, "TANSTAAFL."
SOMEONE -- be it the customer, or the shop -- is paying for techs to diagnose
equipment.  Diagnostics fees -- usually waived if services are asked for -- is
a way for small shops to not be taken advantage of.

As for Computer Hut (http://www.thecomputerhut.com), it is a long-established
NH business, though relatively recently moved from their digs on Elm St.  I can
vouch for them, as, yes, I worked there back in '93.  And, unlike big shops,
turnover is incredibly low; indeed, the lead tech now is the one who started
when I was there, and he's got more certifications than you can shake a stick
at.  They are not free -- make no mistake, they're there to make money -- but
they will offer you professional service with certified technicians.  They also
do a wiz-bang job on office printers.

-Ken

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 14:03:33 -0400 "Jon \"maddog\" Hall" <maddog at li.org> wrote