VPN only session.

Greg Kettmann greg at kettmann.com
Sun Oct 16 10:12:04 EDT 2011

Is there a way, in Linux, to make a VPN the "primary" connection?

I work remotely several days a week, as many of us do.  Most of my
experience is Windows with moderate skills in Linux but
work/connectivity is generally through Linux.  I have a VPN connection
for work  (PPTP / CHAP as best I can tell from the configuration file).
I don't like configuring my entire workstation or laptop to use a VPN
because of complications I've had.  Instead I run Windows 7 with a
VMware Player session where I run Ubuntu for my "remote" session.   That
way I have my usual machine and then I have a dedicated session for
remote use.

The problem is that the VPN session randomly drops out.  Basically, I
start Ubuntu and once it's operational I click on the little up/down
arrows for network.  I select the VPN and I activate it.  This puts a
little lock on the up/down arrows and I'm set.  Sometimes the lock drops
off and I'm sending (or trying to send) in the clear.  Easy enough to
fix but often a pain to get things back to the proper state.

What I would prefer is to have the VMware session just be connected via
VPN... no VPN, no connectivity.  If the VPN connection drops out I don't
want it to fall back down to sending in the clear.  The whole session
will stop working and I can restart it.  Is that possible?  I've tried
searching on this, without much luck, but perhaps my search arguments
are bad.  I'm not married to Ubuntu nor to VMware player.  If some other
combination is known to work I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance,

Greg