VPN only session.

Alan Johnson alan at datdec.com
Mon Oct 17 13:50:23 EDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Greg Kettmann <greg at kettmann.com> wrote:

> On 10/16/2011 11:38 AM, Alan Johnson wrote:
>
>> Have you considered having your windows client only route traffic for your
>> VPN through the VPN, leaving everything else for the Internet?  Not sure if
>> that is quite what you are looking for, but it is a common configuration.
>>
> Alan:
>
> Could you explain this to me?  Sorry but I don't understand the concept or
> the setup.  Perhaps this would work but since I don't understand I can't
> fully say.  I seems like it would.
>
> Thanks.
>
> GGK

In Windows 7 it should go something like this: right click on your VPN
connection icon and click Properties > Networking tab > highlight the IPv4
line > click Properties button > click Advanced > uncheck "Use default
gateway on remote network".  If not Windows 7, let me know the version of
windows you are working on if you can't find something similar.  That will
make only traffic for the network on the other side of the VPN flow through
the VPN with all other traffic going straight to the Internet.  If there is
more than one network on the other side of the VPN, you would have to add
each one manually.  We can cross that bridge if we come it.  If there are
too many, then you'll have to re-check the box to use it as the default and
we'd be back where we started from.