Conversations w/ Computing's historical personages (was: Historical origin of cron's day-of-month/weekday behavior?)

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Oct 26 09:55:00 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Joshua Judson Rosen
<rozzin at geekspace.com>wrote:

> This has always been one of my favourite things about the unix world--
> and, to some extent, computing in general: that the founders are
> still around, and many of them even *respond to e-mail*.
> The analogies for other domains are things like `exchanging
> post-cards with Thomas Jefferson or Florence Nightingale'.
>
> It's changing, though. :(
>
> Not have we lost Steve Jobs (for better or worse) *and* Dennis Ritchie,
> this month, but we've *also* just lost John McCarthy:

I've read alt.folklore.computing over the years.  dmr would post
occasionally, clarifying things.  In addition his personal site, there is a
bell labs site with much of the historical information on version 7 and
earlier unix.

There are groups of people (packrats like me) saving old hardware and
software.  Some write emulators (SIMH, Hercules, various 8 bit PCs) and
there's abandonware.  The Internet Archives recently put up scads of scanned
magazines from the 80s.  We also have RFCs and authors like Peter Salus.