Migrating a Remine/VC install from svn to bzr?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Thu Oct 27 12:59:43 EDT 2011

Hi everybody,

My group at work has been using Subversion for revision-control on our
software projects, and we really want to switch to Bazaar; for the
most part, I know that this is easy because I'v done it before.
However, one thing I'm clueless on: we also have a Redmine installation
that is currently configured to integrate with our Subversion repository,
and I have no idea converting that part of the overall system means.

Have any of you done something like this before? Any advice/caveats/warnings?

If you've switched a Redmine deployment between VC back-ends, even
if you switched to something other than Bazaar (most things port,
at least conceptually, between Bazaar, Git, and other systems),
then I want to hear from you.

What we really want is (I think) just that any new bug-reports/-updates
that mention revision-IDs will point to bzr rather than svn (it'd be
great if we could either convert to old `rev #x' references to point to
their new bzr revids, or make them continue to point to the old svn
commits..., but maybe either of those is asking to much?), to be able
to browse the bzr repository's layout and revision-history like
we currently can with the svn repository, and to be able to have links
from that log-viewer to the tickets and auxiliary commits referenced
in commit-messages.

It looks like the standard advice from the Redmind project for
`converting to a different VC back-end' is basically `destroy
your database and recreate it from scratch', which isnterrifying--
for sure that'll break all of the historic revnumnreferences, won't it?
Is there a better way? Or maybe there'snsome post-rebuild munging we
can do on the cached comment-stringsnto change the svn revnums to bzr
revids? Will Redmine pick up on revids that aren't just integers?