usenet via fairpoint?

David Rysdam david at rysdam.org
Sat Oct 29 07:59:25 EDT 2011

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 22:10:19 -0400, "Michael ODonnell" <michael.odonnell at comcast.net> wrote:

> Once upon a time you could pay for pretty decent
> NNTP access via:
>
>    http://www.giganews.com/

Hm, they seem to have some of the lowest prices for full newsgroup
access. So that's a pretty good deal. Among text-only feeds, this one
looks good at about 1/3 the price of giganews:

    http://news.individual.net/overview.php

Both off 14 day free trials, so I think I'll this one first.

Actually, what I *really* should do is ask FairPoint why their news feed
is broken. But from discussions found online, I doubt they'll even know
what I'm talking about. I can't find any official claim that
"news.fairpoint.net" is even the right server name--I got that from a
fossil page in their domain that their site doesn't seem to link to.

Or rather, that's just one of their sites--the plain corporate/sales
one. The one that customers are apparently supposed to use,
www.myfairpoint.net *won't even display on my computer* and hasn't for
years. I don't know if it's actually empty or what ("view source" shows
nothing). Firefox on Linux.

This kind of complete technical incompetence makes me reluctant to get
drawn into the tech support tar pit with them.