Am I 32-bit, or 64-bit?

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Thu Apr 5 11:09:35 EDT 2012

Brian: I'm gonna pull the whole repo.  I really like btrfs, and anything
pre-10.10 isn't recent enough to support it for an installation.  And I ain't
doing 12.04 because, well, it ain't the epitome of the Linux user experience.
;-)

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 10:29:23 -0400 "Michael ODonnell"
<michael.odonnell at comcast.net> wrote

> BTW, for recent kernel sources I think the value you wanted to
> use for ARCH is i686 rather than i386, even though the latter
> may be what the "arch" command reports.

Well... here's my /usr/src/linux/arch directory:

alpha     c6x    hexagon  m68k        openrisc  score  um         xtensa
arm       cris   ia64     microblaze  parisc    sh     unicore32
avr32     frv    Kconfig  mips        powerpc   sparc  x86
blackfin  h8300  m32r     mn10300     s390      tile   x86_64

Am I missing something obvious?  Did I not need to name my destination
architecture something from that directory?

-Ken