Errors scrolling...

Bill Freeman ke1g.nh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 10:15:52 EDT 2012

On 4/9/12, Ken D'Ambrosio <ken at jots.org> wrote:
> Grrr.  I installed kernel v. 3.3.0 on my laptop, and hoo-boy, is it not
> happy.
> Two things which confuse me:
>
> 1) Using as a template the grub.cfg that already exists, I create a new
> section
> -- literally identical to my other laptop -- and yet, with the new section
> added, I never get the boot menu; I immediately start booting.

It sounds as though the grub loaded by the boot block is looking for
its configuration elsewhere.  Boot from knoppix or a live CD and you
may be able to reinstall grub with one that you know is configured to
use your grub.cfg.  You might want to dd the grub area of the disk off
to a file on a flash drive first.

> 2) It blows up.  I have no idea what the error message reads, because two(?)
> alternating messages scroll by so fast I can't see what they say.  And
> *keep*
> scrolling.  I've tried taking pictures with my phone, on the chance that
> it'll
> be fast enough to capture it mid-stutter -- and that *almost* works.  I
> think,
> for example, the word "DMA" is in there.  But that's a guess.

I have nothing on the underlying problem, but, if the grub problem
gets fixed, there might be kernel boot flags to sent the console
output to a serial port, which you could capture with another machine,
or better, to both the screen and a serial port (set for, say, 110
baud) that would slow both to the 110 baud rate, making the screen
readable.

> So, any ideas on #1 would be nice, but if anyone's got a clue on how to
> either
> pause (^S doesn't work) the scrolling, or dump it somewhere, I'm all ears.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ken
Bill