I'm considering a new laptop, looking for experiences.

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Sun Apr 15 16:21:52 EDT 2012

Actually, I'm considering a new laptop, too.  I love my Gateway, but it lacks
one significant thing: the ability to hold 8 GB of RAM, which is *really handy*
for running virtuals.  Additionally, if I need that extra oomph to run 64-bit
virtuals that i3's don't have, that would be big, too.

So:
- 11.6" - 14" screen
- Ethernet port (none of this ultrabook nonsense)
- Max of 8 GB of RAM (I don't care what it actually comes with)
- 4.5 lbs. or less
- Ability to run 64-bit virtuals
-

I admit that the 64-bit virtual issue snuck up on me; I hadn't realized that
was a problem.  How do you tell which AMD chips can do that?  Likewise, Intel:
is there a specific, cross-brand name for the feature?

Thanks!

-Ken