mosh

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Wed Apr 18 16:25:42 EDT 2012

Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net> writes:

> Thought I'd share this: http://mosh.mit.edu/
>
> It's a remote terminal program (like SSH or telnet) but designed
> to allow for mobility. Rather than sending the whole stream
> across the network, it maintains a screen state on the remote
> server (like screen) and syncs up the local display as needed.
>
> I've been using it for a few days now, and have been pretty
> impressed, roaming seamlessly between wired and wireless
> networks, between home and work, without losing my session has
> been pretty nice.

This all sounds very familiar....

You cited the `SSH + Screen' parts; but even the `roaming without
losing your session' bit..., that reminds me that there used to be
a project called "rocks" (as in `solid as a', but the name also
standing for `Reliable SOCKets'). I think it was supposed to provide
a posix-compatibility wrapper of some sort. A friend of mine
decided to test it by:

    * SSH'ing over rocks from his laptop in MA to a server in the sky;
    * Putting the laptop to sleep;
    * driving from MA to CT;
    * unsleeping the laptop and connecting to a network in CT.

He said that he was impressed that his session was still live,
after all of that.

And, if I'm remembering correctly, it should have been possible to use
rocks with other applications than SSH+Screen.

Oh, here it is:

    http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~zandy/rocks/