Computer show Saturday, in Manchester

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Sat Aug 18 09:16:44 EDT 2012

My first attempt at installing Linux was SLS in 1994. I couldn't get it
to work, and when I asked around for help, someone told me that
SLS was badly broken due to untested updates, and they suggested
Slackware as al alternative. My first successful install was Slackware,
a week after I first tried SLS.

In 1995 I received a pre-prelease copy of Caldera, and I switched to
that until the 1996 meeting at UNH with Linus. There, I received a
copy of Redhat 2.1, and when I tried it, I discovered that Caldera
was really Redhat 2.0 plus a handful of proprietary add-ons.

I switched to Redhat at that point, and I've been using Redhat,
Fedora, and CentOS ever since. I've tried a number of other
distributions over the years, but none were sufficiently compelling
to entice me to switch again.

Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9