Apple and lawsuits...Apple BEING sued

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Aug 22 19:27:20 EDT 2012

On Aug 22, 2012 5:14 PM, "Ken D'Ambrosio" <ken at jots.org> wrote:

> While, on the face of things, I agree that there are *more* lawsuits
nowadays,
> part of me points out that there's a whole lot more at stake than there
was,
> say, 30 years ago.  Here are some lawsuits from down the ages that come to
> mind:
>
> Ashton Tate (dBase) vs. FoxPro
> Hayes vs. Everyone Else
> Lotus vs. Borland
> Apple vs. Microsoft
> SEA vs. PKWare
>
> The interesting thing here is that in the three suits where the
plaintiffs were
> clear victors in the courtroom (Hayes, Lotus, SEA), they eventually lost
in the
> court of public opinion -- SEA almost overnight.  (SEA was the creator of
the
> old .ARC file compression format; they sued on violation of look and feel
when
> PKWare came out with a much faster version that -- gad-zooks! -- used
similar
> command line parameters.

And lifted source code from ARC, which its copyright did not allow.
Because of that loss, Phil Katz made sure the Zip format was freely
copyable.

>Furor was quick and lethal to SEA; .ZIP supplanted it
> within, I'd say, two months -- and only that long because of magazine lead

zip also compressed more w/ less cpu.  When most were on 286en transmitting
over 1200 or 2400 baud, 5% smaller, faster, made it worth converting  the
whole BBS's 200mb of files, even if it took a few days.  Many converted to
lha when that came out.

> times, etc.)  Apple mostly lost, but you'll note that the MS Garbage Can
> disappeared from the Windows 1.0 desktop after that.  And dBase just plain

I'd say apple is doing ok now.