Accessing partitions in drive images

Ryan Stanyan ryan.stanyan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 19:39:39 EST 2012

On Feb 1, 2012, at 10:15 AM, Tom Buskey wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
>
> Actually, the IBM-PC was following the Apple ][.   Jobs hadn't
> gotten into his control everything mode yet and Woz put the full
> schematics and ROM in the back of the user manual.  That manual
> managed to teach new users (who to be fair, were more technical than
> today's average user) and get into the full technical detail that us
> geeks want.
>
> Nowadays manual are written on drool proof paper and I often wonder
> if the author & developer ever saw the software on anything but a
> fresh Windows XP sp2 install.  Or worse, the daily desktop they used
> that looks nothing like a standard system.

One thing I noticed when I was looking at the manuals for the Sun-1
and DEC systems was that in order to be a normal user of those systems
you had to know the hardware.  This was true even up to the first two
computers I had when I was young.

However, when I got my computer for college, documentation was little
more than a basic Windows XP guide.  So basically in twenty years time
we've gone from what goes inside the case as this fun and interesting
thing you can do with your equipment, to "here be dragons."