No-brainer backup from Linux to space on remote drive?

Bill Freeman ke1g.nh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 15:49:44 EST 2012

The solutions that some to mind are:

   amanda
   tar bzip2 scp
   rsync

All require configuration.  A problem with rsync is that if you back
up the system after it has lost
or corrupted files, then the rsync copy no longer has those files or
good versions of those files
either.  It is possible to replace the scp step of the tar/bzip scheme
with rsync, allowing the tar
and bzip step to run on the machine receiving the backup instead of
your desktop, but you may
not have the ability to "run stuff" on a "network drive", even though
there's a computer there.

Another possibility is to use a revision control system like svn, git,
mercurial, with the repository
stored on the backup drive.  But such systems may not be comfortable
with all the kinds of
files you want to back up (images, movies, and sound files come to mind).

mondo is another possibility, but I don't think that it expects to run
in the background on a live
system, and may or may not have a means of saving to a network drive
rather than CD-R or
DVD-R.

Other people will have other ideas.  Maybe someone knows of a system
you don't have to
configure and understand.  But if you don't have to configure it, you
have to settle for what
someone else chose.

Bill