e-mail provider recommendations?

Brian St. Pierre brian at bstpierre.org
Mon Feb 27 10:09:25 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 1:08 AM, Joshua Judson Rosen
<rozzin at geekspace.com> wrote:
> It seems like
> the obvious next line of questions, though, is: is going through
> a the digital version of changing your address a significantly-
> greater ordeal than the `real life moving' version? And,
> if it is..., then why is it?

If I move to a new house, I have to do address changes with banks,
brokerage, insurance, couple of magazines, and a handful of people who
send me paper mail. I have to call the insurance company anyway to
update coverage. I only ever order from a couple of different online
retailers, and I can update those addresses the next time I place
orders at each place. If I forget to change my address with a personal
contact, they (a) can contact me via email or (b) talk to a mutual
friend who can provide an updated address. Actually, with snail mail,
if I forget to update my address with *any* contact, a
change-of-address order with USPS will ensure that I get mail -- even
junk :( -- for a year.

You *can* do forwarding with GMail (and the others, I presume), but
you can't usually get forwarding if you use your ISP's address and
then change ISPs.

>> If I was going to move away from GMail, I'd go self-hosted.
>
> Is bstpierre.org actually GMail, then?

Yes -- Google Apps. (You can tell by doing `dig MX bstpierre.org`; the
servers listed are a dead giveaway.)