replicated file system?

Kenny Lussier klussier at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 14:44:54 EST 2012

Hi All,

I am looking for new ideas on how to replicate file systems. I have a need
for redundant ftp servers, which could either be active/standby or
active/active, as there is a load balancer in front of them. Currently, we
periodically rsync the directory over to the standby system. What I would
like to do is have a mirrored/replicated/clustered file system so that both
systems can be active at the same time, and the data is automagically
available on either, even in the event that one server fails. The catch is
that there is no back-end shared storage (no SAN, NFS, etc.). I thought
about drbd, but that is active/backup only. Most other systems required
shared storage. I'm looking at using incron/inotify or Unison, but I was
curious to see how other people would creatively solve this problem. Ideas?

TIA,
Kenny