How to test network quality (home)

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at myfairpoint.net
Mon Jan 2 13:02:08 EST 2012

The new year brings upgraded connectivity.  :)  Naturally I'd like to
test my connection to see if I'm getting what I paid for.  I've tried
some the tools at dslreports and received some strange results.
http://www.dslreports.com/pingtest/7ab34aa36277/2861823?r=64

pingtest.net seems to have some issues as well.  I get a fail on packet
loss.  However the test does not return useful results (like % loss)
since it does not complete.

Are there any decent tools or scripts that one can use?  Stuff like
iperf requires a server.  Any network tools that "just run" that give
*useful* results?

tia