mint

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at myfairpoint.net
Mon Jan 2 14:27:42 EST 2012

On 01/02/2012 01:59 PM, David Rysdam wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 13:42:16 -0500, Bruce Labitt<bruce.labitt at myfairpoint.net>  wrote:
>> Should I take the plunge to LMDE?  I've never run debian before.
> Yes you have. Ubuntu, especially older versions, *is* Debian, but with
> shinier graphics.
Yes, and I appreciate *some* of the shininess.

>> I'm not looking for which distro is the best ever, unless folks want to
>> have fun.  Just looking for something that is closer to what 10.04 LTS
>> was.  I run and maintain that at work for my two servers.  Anything that
>> is a bit more modern than 10.04 that 1) runs on older hardware (video
>> especially) and can support vlc and myth?
> 10.04 was released only 18 months ago. What specifically do you need
> more modern than what was in that? Debian 6.0/Squeeze was released in
> February 2011.
I was hoping for slightly better behavior for video tools.  myth on
10.04 is buggy.  It mysteriously crashes.  Using the ppa doesn't seem to
fix things.  Yes, I know that this is a myth problem.  I was hoping
perhaps rather foolishly that a slightly more modern version would
behave better.  It would seem many developers abandon support for
*maturer* versions of the distro.

I was also looking for updated python and scientific tools.
mayavi2/vtk, etc.

I really don't need to do it. (But I did do it.  I am not happy that I
did do it.)  I did want a PVR solution that worked.  I haven't found
anything close to the ability of myth.  Too bad it has so many warts.
As in having insufficient up time to be a video recorder.  I want to
program the shows I'd like to record and actually have myth record it.
myth would segfault sometime during the week - yeah that is useful.

Getting closer to topic - what are the down sides to Debian?  More work
for me?  Less hand holding?  But more stable - right?  End of the
constant non-compatible/broken updates?

On topic - anyone have experience with MATE?