gnhlug-discuss Digest, Vol 64, Issue 1

Bill Freeman ke1g.nh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 14:04:00 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 10:46 PM, David Ohlemacher <ohlemacher at gmail.com> wrote:
> I to looked at updating from Maverick and refused to stick with Ubuntu.
> Unity really is a steaming bucket.   I played with it in a virtual machine
> for 15 minutes.  It would be fine on a cell phone, but that is it.

Yeah, I've heard that the thrust of "Unity" is "Unity" between the desktop and
the tablet (or lesser).

> So looking around I moved to LMDE/xfce.   LMDE is fast and I like xfce. I
> want stable, usable and configurable, hold the eye candy.  But I have had
> several issues that broke it required fixing.    VmWare is not really
> compatible.  After installation I could no long do any apt-get updates.
> Also, USB did not work at all in VMs.  But it was fixable.   Also, every
> 20-30 reboots my desktop gets screwed up and I have to delete
> ~/.Cache/session and logout/in.   When this happens, each window gets
> stacked in the upper right corner with no title bars at all and no way to
> switch apps. Only the last app started can be used. Strange.  There are a
> few other smaller issues.  One positive thing that surprised me was that
> setting up my network printer took about 3 seconds.  That was nice.

You have thought of keeping around a tar of a good state of ~.Cache/session
to restore from, rather than deleting sessions.  I would guess that it would
put icons back where you had them at snapshot time (with any new ones
piling up in the corner, if you hadn't refreshed your snapshot afterwards).
This sounds like a session termination at reboot timing problem.  You have
reported it to the maintainers, I trust.

> Even with the issues, I still like LMDE.  It's been on my laptop for 3
> months. I know how to fix it quickly.  I may switch distros, but I think
> I'll be sticking with xfce.
>
> For xmas, we now have two new zareason systems.  A desktop and a laptop,
> both with mint 12.   Mint 12 wont be around very long.   It's unusually
> painful to change simple things like adding to the panel or making a new
> panel. Unity will need to make some room in the bucket for Gnome3.    The
> root user is called "Administrator"!    Did windoze infect Linux desktops?
> It seems so.

Or is that a Mac thing?

> Zareason was great by the way.  It was me that asked for Mint 12; there were
> several choices.  I appreciate 24/7 support with someone that speaks
> American English and knows how to spell Linux.  They threw in a 850W 80+
> Gold p/s instead of the cheap 350W I was expecting.
>
> Anyone love KDE?  I used to in the 2.0 - 3.5 days, but 4.0 was so unusable I
> dumped it immediately.  I liked kdevelop, but it was horriblely broken in
> 4.0 (spent the time to really learn vim).  I hear KDE is now much better,
> but I like dot files (rsync-able) and abhor registries.

I read a rumor (can't remember where) that KDE has gotten better again.  If
you liked it you might try a live CD of something to see if your
itches have been
scratched.  (I never liked KDE, nor CDE before it, so I'm not in a position to
test and comment.

> -d

Bill