GNOME 3 (was: mint)

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Thu Jan 5 11:14:38 EST 2012

kevin_d_clark at comcast.net (Kevin D. Clark) writes:

> > > My solution was to flip gnome 3 the bird and switch to XFCE.
> >
> > Me, too - I switched to the XFCE-based Xubuntu.
>
> I couldn't figure out Gnome3 when I upgraded to Fedora 16.  It just
> threw me for a loop.  I tried out LXDE and then I found that XFCE
> suited me better.
>
> YMMV.

I wonder how my wife will react. I remember when I upgraded her laptop
from Windows XP to Debian 3.1/Sarge (with whatever version of GNOME
was included): she was absolutely *delighted* with the results, because...
her favourite desktop wallpaper looked better in GNOME than it had
in Windows. It turned out that it was fairly small JPEG image,
with a lot of upscaling required to make it fill the screen, and
the graphics library that GNOME was using (imlib, I think) had
*much* better image-scaling algorithms than Windows was using.

It's funny what non-hackers notice and appreciate :)

(and, yes--she liked the `SpaceFun' theme in 6.0/Squeeze; but
 so did I, actually--especially the animated rocket-launch at boot ☺)