drive recovery of dual-boot system

Mike Bilow mikebw at colossus.bilow.com
Thu Jan 26 02:35:06 EST 2012

Filesystems (and therefore "fsck" targets) reside on partitions of the
disk, something like "/dev/sdc3", rather than the entire device (or an
image of it). This is inherent in the design of the system and is
independent of the types of filesystems or how they are mixed.

In order to access partitions within an image file, you want the
"kpartx" utility:

     http://linux.die.net/man/8/kpartx

Also, those annoying Dell machines that will not boot from CD will boot
from USB Flash memory, and it is easy to make one up with SysRescueCD:

http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_How_to_install_SystemRescueCd_on_an_USB-stick

-- Mike