Accessing partitions in drive images

OK? Im Deluxe! mwl+gnhlug at alumni.unh.edu
Mon Jan 30 12:03:07 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:25:43AM -0500, Bruce Dawson wrote:
> >> What about `flopticals', LS-120s, etc.?
> >>
> >> Were they partitioned like HDDs?
> > Typically, no.  Neither were any of the various tape devices that
> > used the PC floppy drive controller interface.
>
> Sigh. I have to say: "Typically, yes". I did use a Bernoulli and IOMega
> "flopticals" that acted like AT-style hard drives. I may still have a
> few floating about in the barn. (But doubt if I have a working computer
> that they'll connect to.)

Those are different beasts, really.  The floptical/LS-120 style
devices acted like floppy drives, because, well, they were floppy
drives, just with optical positioning to enable higher data
density.

The Bernoulli removable disks, and the later Iomega products (Zip,
Jaz, REV), and similar products by other vendors were all removable
"fixed" disks, using SCSI, IDE/ATAPI or Parallel Port (I think this
was SCSI over IEEE-1284, but I might be misremembering) interfaces,
and act as you describe.  They weren't 'flopticals', as there was no
optical component in the drives, they were purely magnetic media.

--
mwl+gnhlug at alumni.unh.edu          OpenPGP KeyID 0x57C3430B
Holder of Past Knowledge           CS, O-