Options for hosting servers in my basement?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Mon Jul 2 15:48:22 EDT 2012

I have a couple of web/mail/shell/etc. servers that are currently
hosted `in the cloud', but which I'd really like to move
to my basement if possible (with the caveat that I don't live/work
at a college or an ISP...).

Basically, I want:

    * 2 or 3 static IP addresses.

    * A fast enough *uplink* (consumer service is typically great
      on download speeds but has lousy upload speeds);

    * A reliable enough link--service can't be interrupted
      on a weekly or even monthly basis, and interruptions can't
      last for hours at a time. The consumer DSL subscription
      I have right now completely fails this criterion.

    * Something that won't empty my wallet (so far, I've made
      one inquiry to an ISP about `business class' service,
      and got a response of `what you really want is a T1
      for $300/month'; that's a little heavy..., but
      maybe someone here has a good story about becoming
      their neighbours' ISP?).

I neither need nor want mail hosting services, web hosting services,
phone service, or anything like that.

Assuming I have options other than `go live at a college or ISP',
what are they? Or is home server-hosting a completely ridiculous idea
in our modern world?

My friends down in MA say, `get FIOS!'....