Malware for Linux

Bill Sconce sconce at in-spec-inc.com
Wed Jul 18 21:39:13 EDT 2012

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 21:23:45 -0400
Bill Sconce <sconce at in-spec-inc.com> wrote:

> And Java, yet another case -- if there ever turns out to be a reason to
> have Java installed.

There seems never to have been a reason. Not on any Linux system I've
been responsible for, my own or clients'.

What's more surprising, over the past few weeks I've been removing Java
from all my clients' Windows PCs. At first I was afraid something would
break, but itt seems THEY'VE never really needed Java either. (I'm sure
that others' mileage will vary on this. But the easiest way to secure a
piece of software IS to remove it.)

On a related note, when reading/researching this thread I came across
an article describing a *PYTHON* vulnerability. That got my attention,
for sure.   Turns out ^U   ...no, wait, you'll probably get a chuckle
reading it for yourself:

    Python-based malware attack targets Macs.
    Windows PCs also under fire

    http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/04/27/python-malware-mac/

-Bill
_______