Malware for Linux

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Jul 19 09:18:10 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:

> On 07/18/2012 09:39 PM, Bill Sconce wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 21:23:45 -0400
> > Bill Sconce <sconce at in-spec-inc.com> wrote:
> >
> >> And Java, yet another case -- if there ever turns out to be a reason to
> >> have Java installed.

Java really failed in the client dept.  And Flash really succeeded, but
we're seeing the end days of it.

>  > There seems never to have been a reason. Not on any Linux system I've
> > been responsible for, my own or clients'.
> >
> > What's more surprising, over the past few weeks I've been removing Java
> > from all my clients' Windows PCs. At first I was afraid something would
> > break, but itt seems THEY'VE never really needed Java either. (I'm sure
> > that others' mileage will vary on this. But the easiest way to secure a
> > piece of software IS to remove it.)

The most secure router I saw had was running 2-3 major revisions behind of
Cisco ios.  Web access was removed.  Telnet.  SSH.  Everything was removed
except the routing tables.  All it could do was route.  In order to
configure it, you needed to hook up a serial console, which was normally
disconnected.  When vulnerabilities came out, they were on ssh or the web
server, etc.

Monitoring the router was a different issue.  If it had issues, we didn't
have much to go on.  But we "knew" it wasn't a vulnerability.