OSS Video Conference solution?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Fri Jul 27 12:33:31 EDT 2012

"Ken D'Ambrosio" <ken at jots.org> writes:

> On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:02:01 -0400 Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote
>
> >   Please clarify "server side".  Do you mean you're looking for
> > recommendations on central server software to coordinate traditional
> > video conferencing client software, or do you mean you're looking for
> > something that hides the client in a web browser so people think
> > they're not installing software?
>
> I don't care how the client presents itself -- fat, thin, web, whatever -- so
> long as the back end is something I can bring in-house, and have there be, say,
> a dozen people able to see each other at one time.  (At least, that's what my
> boss is looking for.  I'm beginning to think an OSS solution may not be
> possible, but I'll follow up some of the other leads that were mentioned.)
>
> As for Asterisk, I've looked into it fairly deeply, and it *does* do video
> "conferencing:" you can have everyone see a single speaker; the speaker can
> either be a defined person, or the person currently speaking.  Which isn't half
> bad, but not quite what I'm looking for.

OK, *N-way* conference, not just 2-way. That's what I was missing.

Yeah, I got nothin', there. But now I think I get what you meant--
thanks :)

Looks like XMPP has at least started working on what you want:

        XEP-0272: Multiparty Jingle (Muji)
        http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0272.html

... but it's not clear that it's ready for consumption.
grep'ing the Internet for muji, I find stuff like this:

        http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Muji