Videoconferencing rundown.

Gerry Hull gerry at telosity.com
Tue Jul 31 11:29:23 EDT 2012

The commercial videoconferencing market is very alive and well, with many
multinationals employing huge systems from the likes of Cisco/Tandberg and
Polycom.
Desktop video is just starting to become big in the corporate world --
probably because these big video companies want to try an extract the very
high margins on
desktop clients as they do on video rooms... and that pricing model is not
going to work.

BlueJeans.net was a very cool service in beta.  This is a cloud hosted
service that has a multi-point bridge -- that would work with Skype, H323
and SIP clients.  I
was using it in beta for about six months.   But, it's still too pricey for
me as a commercial service.

Skype has been very successful for 1:1 video chats, especially in the
non-commercial space (though a lot of news outlets seem to be using it now.)
I find video conferences among various clubs I belong to don't work very
well (among the participants, not the tech).   Business Videoconferences
are great.

Has anyone used Google Hangouts in a business setting?

- Gerry