Build advice sought

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Jun 13 14:19:43 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Roger H. Goun <roger at bcah.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for advice on components for a new server that will run
> Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Most of the workload will be Postfix, Apache, and
> MySQL. Web and database activity will be light. The mail server will
> support a couple of dozen users. Storage will be a RAID 1 with 2 TB of
> mirrored space and an additional drive for backups. Case will be a
> medium tower. Two Ethernet ports are required. Budget is around
> $1,000.

I recently built this through Newegg:

Intel Xeon E3-1220 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz  LGA 1155 80W
SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCA-F-O LGA 1155 Server Motherboard
SUPERMICRO CSE-733TQ-500B Black Pedestal Server Case
Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 (PC310600) Server
Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/8GB

The motherboard is dual gigabit with a dedicated IPMI ethernet port.  It
has VGA builtin for the KVM.  ECC ram can go up to 32 GB.  The case might
be a full tower and it comes with a power supply.  It has 4 hot swap sata
drive carriers.  When I need a DVD to boot, I use USB.

It was under $1000 and included a 3 TB drive to go with one I already had.
It draws around 120w when running with a light load (it's a home server).