StatusNet, anyone?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Sun Jun 17 00:13:51 EDT 2012

David Rysdam <david at rysdam.org> writes:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 05:29:52 -0400, "James A. Kuzdrall" <gnhlug at intrel.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 12 June 2012 04:31:20 Eric Stein wrote:
> > > It's an open source twittery thing. I think. Google knows I'm sure!
> >
> >     Is that the one that gives you a map of the URLs that are receiving
> > information from your cookies?  I understand that they are not necessarily
> > the ones that set the cookies.
>
> No, this is not right. Go to http://identi.ca, which is kind of the
> central/reference instance of StatusNet, and be enlightened.

Did that work? :)

> You may also want to visit http://twitter.com to see what "twittery"
> means.

Yeah. Or not. I recall that neither of us was ever able to make any sense
out of Twitter, but we both ended up using StatusNet (at least initially
via identi.ca). And I know of other people who appear to have had
the same experience. Because I was able to use identi.ca where both
eTwitter and FaceBook just confused and frustrated me, for a while
I was describing identi.ca briefly to people as `like Twitter, but
without so much stupid' or `like FaceBook, but without the suck'.
Though, really, if the person I'm talking to is someone who *does*
`get' Twitter and enjoy FaceBook, either of my snarky responses
requires an explanation of how and why the rest of us found them
confusing and otherwise offputting. If you know what Diaspora is,
and want a snarky comparison to that, I could say "like Diaspora,
except that it's actually taken off".

What I will say, and maybe people will notice something in the phrasing...,
is that you're all welcome to sign up on identi.ca,
and follow me on status.hackerposse.com.