StatusNet, anyone?

Brian St. Pierre brian at bstpierre.org
Mon Jun 18 14:00:50 EDT 2012

Thanks for the detailed response. I guess I'm going to have to play
around with this a bit.

On 06/18/2012 12:00 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> "Brian St. Pierre"<brian at bstpierre.org>  writes:
>> I used facebook for a while but deleted my profile. (Some key friends
>> have also deleted profiles, so the utility that *was* there has fallen
>> way off.) I liked the ability to see pix of friends' kids and stuff
>> like that. Didn't like the games&  spammy stuff.
>
> Are these `friends with cute kids' all just floating around with nowhere
> to post that stuff, now that they've left Facebook? Or, what are they
> using?

It's fractured. Some people email, some use other photo-sharing (eg
shutterfly). Some people send dead trees via snail mail. Some have gone
dark. Some are still on facebook, but since *I'm* not there I don't get
the updates. Some people I was never really close enough
(friends-of-friends, we've met a few times at parties, etc) to that we'd
go to the effort of intentionally emailing each other with photos &
updates, but the semi-promiscuous FOAF-level sharing on facebook was
mutually interesting. I think a couple of geek friends have their own
self-hosted photo albums, but I don't necessarily have an easy mechanism
for seeing/discovering their new stuff.

-Brian