Capturing file descriptor 3, or alternatives.

Kevin D. Clark kevin_d_clark at comcast.net
Mon Jun 25 09:13:41 EDT 2012

I've thought about this problem during my commute for a week now, and
I haven't been able to come up with a simple solution that satisfies
the constraints.

I think that a lot of effort could be put into solving this problem
with these constraints...or...the problem could be solved simply with
a small temporary file that parent+child agreed to use.  A robust,
simple implementation could probably be put together in no more than
10 minutes.

I'm a big fan of "simple".

Just my humble opinion,

--kevin

PS It seems to me that the fundamental problem here is that the shell
gives the programmer easy ways to setup unnamed pipes in standardized
sorts of ways, but once you want to do something outside these
"standardized" patterns, the shell's design tends to force you to
actually "name" these pipes/etc....

--
alumni.unh.edu!kdc / http://kdc-blog.blogspot.com/
GnuPG: D87F DAD6 0291 289C EB1E 781C 9BF8 A7D8 B280 F24E

And the Army Ants, they leave nothin' but the bones...
   -- Tom Waits