Vendor independent certifications?

Chris Linstid clinstid at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 10:01:12 EST 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 3:32 AM, Mike <mikebw at colossus.bilow.com> wrote:

> A friend of mine is looking for a career change and asks what sort of
> vendor independent certifications (that is, not another college degree)
> would help them get in the door in programming, web design, or system
> administration?

That's a pretty vague description of what she's looking for. System
administration has all sorts of certifications, but they generally don't
mean much without experience to back them up.

For software development, there aren't really any certifications (at least
that I am aware of) that would help her get a job. Most prospective
employers would be looking for a degree or experience or both, even for
entry level positions.

> She is not mainly asking about actual education, but
> rather how to prove knowledge in such a way that would convince
> prospective employers. She would be willing to consider short-term
> classes or seminars coupled with and leading to such certifications, but
> is trying to avoid anything that would take longer than a year.
> Suggestions?

For development (which I am far more familiar with), her best bet would be
to find an open source project that interests her and start contributing to
it. That would provide her with an experience track record and hopefully
help hone her skills a bit.

- Chris