Vendor independent certifications?

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Fri Mar 9 11:30:19 EST 2012

In my experience, in the Unix/Linux marketplace for developers, I have
not really seen where certifications are meaningful. Even in the area of
system admins, things change so fast that certifications don't mean that
much. There are some areas where certifications help, but that is in the
Microsoft area. A lot of Windows admin people like to have all these
certifications.

As I alluded to above, IMHO, certifications tend to be living in the
past. Things change so fast in our industry that by the time a
certification qual is developed and made available, and people take it,
things are already old and out of date.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix