gnhlug-discuss Digest, Vol 68, Issue 2

David Ohlemacher ohlemacher at gmail.com
Tue May 8 12:54:36 EDT 2012

I have LMDE xfce installed on several machines (two from zareason).  I will
warn you about some things that happen to them once in a while.

1. Rarely: When I boot up, my windows will all be missing their title bars.
They also all get piled up in the upper left corner.  One cannot move
them.  It happens once a month or so.  Rebooting or restarting X will not
fix it.  The first symptom is that I see the XFCE mouse splash screen much
longer when X starts.

The way I fix it:
- Press Cntrl-Alt-F2 to bring up another text tty.
- $ cd ~/.cache
- $ rm -rf sessions
- $ sudo service gdm3 restart

Fixed, but my desktop will have forgotten a couple of small things.  My
workspace manager reverts to having only one desktop. Any apps that would
have auto launched from being left running when I last logged out, will not
launch. One could back up sessions before it gets corrupted.

2. I have also had minor issues with vmware and its USB arbitrator. Let me
know if you use that.

3. Using the LMDE repos, I got *very* few updates (firefox and tbird only
for a long time).  I do not think the repo is maintained.  Anyone know more
about why a rolling distro does not have updates?   Anyway, I simply
switched to using debian testing repos. I know of others that have done the
same. They are compatible.  Now I get the expected updates.  I can share my
sources.list if requested.

David