USB (*gasp*) modem?

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Mon May 14 00:24:14 EDT 2012

On Sun, 13 May 2012 23:28:05 -0400 "James A. Kuzdrall" <gnhlug at intrel.com>
wrote

> On Sunday 13 May 2012 23:15:48 Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:

>     I have had several USB to RS232 to serial modem setups within the last 5
> years, and none of them worked very well.  (We have 3 computers on dialup.)
> I also used a number of PCMCIA cards.  They run hot, and I now have 3 of them
> that are dead or partially working.

Hmmm... or, perhaps it's a hardware issue.  Good to know.

>     The US Robotics unit worked out f the box with no problems.  It nearly
> always gets the 50666KB match despite our old silk insulated copper lines in
> this part of Nashua.

And that clinches it.  I'll get that USR model.  Thanks for the suggestion!

>     Ken, if it is only for a couple weeks, I have a spare that you can
> borrow.

Appreciate the offer, but, while it's for a couple of weeks, they're widely
separated weeks, and, b'sides, I probably should "just have one."

Thanks much for everyone's advice!  (Oh, and 3G isn't an option, either --
getting a 3G connection in Omps, WV (unincorporated), is akin to tuning in a
weak TV signal with rabbit ears.  Except harder.)

-Ken