USB (*gasp*) modem?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Mon May 14 19:39:35 EDT 2012

Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen
> <rozzin at geekspace.com> wrote:
> > Oh, you'd be surprised. Apparently there are a zillion different
> > USB<->RS232 adapter chipsets, and a zillion different drivers
> > required to drive them.
>
>   I should learn not to underestimate the craptacularness of the pee
> sea industry.
>
>   There *is* a standard USB device class for RS-232.  Not my fault
> nobody uses it.  ;)

Well, there's a standard device *class*..., full of *specific device* IDs
for different devices of the same `nominal type' that all speak different
specific protocols. It's the same case for USB scanners and cameras...
which look like *they're* actually *both* lumped into the same `Image' class
together:

       https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_serial_bus#Device_classes

And, no--`is my imager a camera or a scanner' is not the last question
you need to answer before it'll work ;)

Of course, if you're implementing either side of comms for, say, a GPS...,
good luck with that--they don't even have a meaningful class--they're
just `serial devices' (just like your `dumb USB serial cable'):

       http://gpsd.berlios.de/faq.html#conflict