Anyone want a Debian umbrella?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Sun Sep 2 23:58:14 EDT 2012

Neil Schelly <neil at jenandneil.com> writes:

> I could use an umbrella.  Have you done the math to figure out how
> many takers you need to get costs into a reasonable range?

Going by the numbers on that page, ordering 3 umbrellas for shipment
to the US makes each umbrella end up costing ~$33 (CHF:USD is *almost* 1:1,
so that's ~$26 + ~$7 shipping). BUT: then there's whatever costs are
associated with doing the wire transfer....

It looks like I should expect something like $30 or $50 in wire-transfer fees,
which makes a 3-umbrella order still a little silly ($50 per umbrella?
A little less if I find a bank with cheaper wire-transfers...), but
6 umbrellas would bring it down to ~$40 per, and it's diminishing returns
beyond 9 umbrellas.

I guess I'd be OK with getting a single $50 umbrella (that'd be the same
price as my wife's NHPR travel mug...), but it'd be nice to hit the
`$40 per' mark of 6 umbrellas.

Now, the question is: does that sound reasonable to you? :)