Anyone want a Debian umbrella?

Joshua Ronne Altemoos joshua at wolfnix.net
Tue Sep 4 09:14:59 EDT 2012

I personally use two different banks they vary on wire prices just for the
range

Digital Fed. Credit Union is: Sent in Foreign Currency - $40 Sent in US
Currency - $50
Bank of America: International wire transfer sent in US dollars cost $45.
International wire transfer sent in foreign currency cost $35.

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen
<rozzin at geekspace.com>wrote:

> Neil Schelly <neil at jenandneil.com> writes:
> >
> > I could use an umbrella.  Have you done the math to figure out how
> > many takers you need to get costs into a reasonable range?
>
> Going by the numbers on that page, ordering 3 umbrellas for shipment
> to the US makes each umbrella end up costing ~$33 (CHF:USD is *almost* 1:1,
> so that's ~$26 + ~$7 shipping). BUT: then there's whatever costs are
> associated with doing the wire transfer....
>
> It looks like I should expect something like $30 or $50 in wire-transfer
> fees,
> which makes a 3-umbrella order still a little silly ($50 per umbrella?
> A little less if I find a bank with cheaper wire-transfers...), but
> 6 umbrellas would bring it down to ~$40 per, and it's diminishing returns
> beyond 9 umbrellas.
>
> I guess I'd be OK with getting a single $50 umbrella (that'd be the same
> price as my wife's NHPR travel mug...), but it'd be nice to hit the
> `$40 per' mark of 6 umbrellas.
>
> Now, the question is: does that sound reasonable to you? :)
>
> --
> "Don't be afraid to ask (λf.((λx.xx) (λr.f(rr))))."
>

> > On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen
> > <rozzin at geekspace.com> wrote:
> > > It looks like Debian Switzerland is selling these great Debian
> *umbrellas*,
> > > and the price of the umbrella is reasonable but the cost of shipping
> > > from Switzerland to the US makes it silly to buy just one; is anyone
> > > interested in doing a group buy of them?
> > >
> > >        http://debian.ch/merchandise/#umbrellas
> > >
> > > --
> > > "Don't be afraid to ask (λf.((λx.xx) (λr.f(rr))))."

Joshua Ronne Altemoos
e-mail: joshua at wolfnix.net
  www: http://www.wolfnix.net/
  blog: http://www.wolfnix.net/blog/