CALC is my time tracker [WAS: Re: Time tracker (web-based)?

Carl Helmers carl at helmers.com
Fri Sep 14 13:34:25 EDT 2012

Hi Ken

Regarding your GNHLUG list message:

My personal method is not WWW based,  but could be:

I have been for years using the Libre Office (originally Open Office)
CALC application to
track daily personal activities for the hell of it.   I start with a
"masterlog" for each morning,
and after looking up some power cycle stuff [when I powered down prior
night, boot time,
login time] The attached file is a "sanitized" [AKA remove any private
stuff] version of a
master like the one from which I start each morning.

For me a key item [idiosyncrasy?] is when I turn on power each morning.
I spent a lot of part time
fooling around to create a bash system to tag that time for me.  I have
not yet found a good point
in Fedora 17's login shells in which to insert a line calling my BASEL
system's "mark-epoch-of" bash
shell (MEO) that maintains my own format latest first
/home/local/logs/BASEL-history file of epoch
records. This file has a single line per MEO call.  I created my BASEL
acronym is from the phrase
"Bash Application for System Epoch Logging".

I have not totally figured out how  Fedora 17 works in startup, shutdown
and login yet.  For startup
I found somewhere that LINUX backward compatibility is maintained:
/etc/rc.d/rc.local that is still in
Fedora 17.  This is still a choke point shell for every bootstrap's
completion!

Now I still need to find a similar choke point shell somewhere that
every login is guaranteed to pas
through.   (I have not yet tried to modify the F17 "halt" command that I
have used in earlier F117 and
LM12  distributions.)

Since Fedora 17 became my system of choice last month,  I have been
using the "log file Viewer" to
copy and paste by hand the tail end of its non-standard format log file
data.  Then I hand modfiy
lines to get my missing previous halt and login timing information .  I
ultimately intend to write all this
up for my personal www.helmers.com site when I figure out or learn form
others where my missing
epochs are in the system shells.