World's largest web comic panel

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 01:57:05 EDT 2012

  Some of you may have seen xkcd #1110, "Click and Drag", from Wed 19
Sep.  If not: http://xkcd.com/1110/

  Some people have analyzed it.  If it was a conventional image, it
would be 165888 x 79872 pixels (W x H).  As a 32-bit uncompressed
bitmap, it would be almost 60 gigabytes.  Printed at 300 DPI, it would
be 46 feet wide.  The xkcd page uses HTML "stitching" and a lot of
blank fills to accomplish this in about 6 MB of images.

http://boingboing.net/2012/09/19/xkcds-14-foot-wide-click-and.html

http://blackhole12.blogspot.com/2012/09/analyzing-xkcd-click-and-drag.html

  Someone created a zoomable version (like Google Maps):
http://xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de/  Run the browser window full-screen,
and it's impressive, despite being a black-and-white stick figure drawing.

  Someone else stitched it together using static HTML.  I downloaded
the fileset using wget, and then pointed browsers at it.

  Firefox (14.0.1, clean profile, clean start, no other pages)
achieved a resident size of 900 MB on this 1 GB machine, and a virtual
size of 3 GB, at which point memory was exhausted and the kernel
killed the process.  I never saw the page.

  Chrome renders the page, and handles it reasonable well, in 400 MB
of virtual and 70 MB resident.

  So, if you ever wanted to see what a 46 foot wide web page looks
like, now you can, but be careful, it may crash your browser, or even
your PC:
http://blackspherestudios.com/storage/xkcd_huge_static.html  Again, be
careful clicking that.

  The wget command I used was: