Resume length and history

Drew Van Zandt drew.vanzandt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 12:15:32 EDT 2013

On the reviewing/receiving end, I generally find that unless it's a recent
grad, one page is insufficient for a technical resume, two is about right,
and a third page is generally only useful if the first two were pretty good.

On the other end, I figure that's exactly what I'll write.  Two pages of
meat, one page of e.g. nonprofessional experience that might be germane (I
have technical hobbies).

Trying to write a one-page resume is unbearable.

Again on the receiving end, if a resume from a recruiter looks like hell
but has a few interesting items, I'll sometimes email the prospect and ask
for a copy of their resume that has not been ruined by recruiters.

To any engineering recruiters on the list: Don't screw up your guys'
resumes unless you are SURE you know what you're doing.  It gets in the way
more often than not, in my experience.  I don't want to hear YOUR voice or
get things in the format you think is important, I want to know what the
ENGINEER thinks is important, in their voice, because that's what I'll be
working with.

Second/third putting education last unless you just graduated.  Mine is
last except for a one-liner indicating I've had a Secret clearance before,
in case it's germane, and a standard references-on-request tag.

*
Drew Van Zandt
Cam # US2010035593 (M:Liam Hopkins R: Bastian Rotgeld)
Domain Coordinator, MA-003-D.  Masquerade aVST
*