Resume length and history

Ric Werme ewerme at comcast.net
Wed Apr 10 01:00:03 EDT 2013

When Alliant (mini-supercomputer company) folded in 1992, I came up with a
two page resume that covered my whole career, but then wrote one page addenda
tailored to the company and job I was interviewing for.  Having worked on
everything from PDP-10s and the ARPAnet to dot matrix printers to starting
a company for an Apple ][ music sight reading teaching program, recruiters
had trouble getting an answer to "What are you best at?" let alone "What are
you looking for?"

The two parts worked very well.

In previous job searches, I often received thank yous when I gave interviewers
"my" resume, especially after what I saw recruiters do to "improve" it.

One useful tidbit - don't provide full answers in the resume, leave gaps to
be filled at the interview as they can lead to productive discussions.

--
ric at WermeNH.com                http://WermeNH.com/