Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone (right now)

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Thu Aug 1 22:09:38 EDT 2013

So, funny conversation with my wife, last night...:

I said, "Hey, look at this--tell me what you think of this `Ubuntu Edge'
thing?", and I wandered off to get the toddler ready for bed.

When I came back, she said: "*I* want one *tooooo*! Can you get *two*!?"

I said, "Er..., maybe? If they actually meet their goal? But it's just
a preliminary `fixed-fundraising' campaign, remember; and they had
a huge surge of people willing to commit to buying one when they first
launched the fundraiser a week ago, but now it looks like it's been
tapering off. If they don't actually get $32-million in commitments,
then nothing actually happens."

She asked, "Do they even actually collect the money unless they
can get /all of it/?"

I said, "No...."

She said, "Well, then *do it*. OK?"

"'tis an ill wind that blows no minds."