Installing Ubuntu on an EFI-based Intel system

Roger H. Goun roger at bcah.com
Thu Aug 22 12:27:52 EDT 2013

I've installed Ubuntu (and other Linuxes) on various workstation-class
systems for years, but I've never done an installation on one of the new
EFI-based systems before, and this one did not go well. I need help
recovering.

I stuck four large SATA hard drives, a SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCA-F-O Server
Motherboard, an Intel Xeon E3-1230 Sandy Bridge Quad-Core Server Processor,
a bunch of memory, a power supply, and an optical drive in a box. I
configured the disks as a RAID 5 in the BIOS utility, told the BIOS to boot
the CD, and started installing.

Halfway through the install the machine signaled an overheat condition and
stopped. Turned out I hadn't installed the CPU heat sink correctly. Doh!
With this fixed the machine seems OK, but I can't figure out how to boot
the CD again. The optical drive isn't an option in the BIOS Boot section
anymore. Do I have to break the RAID?

Thanks for any advice.

-- Roger